So you’ve finally decided to make that big move across country. Whether you are moving from sunny Los Angeles to sophisticated New York City, or from Portland, Oregon to Pensacola, Florida, chances are you are considering ways to save money on your cross country move. Moving can be expensive, even if you’re just heading across town. Moving all the way across the country, however, can be exponentially pricier. Here are 7 great tips for saving money when moving coast to coast.
1. Clean House. When you use a moving company, your fees will be based on cargo weight and the number of trucks it takes to move your stuff. So it’s always a good idea to get rid of the items you no longer want before making your move. By lightening your moving load, you will save money. You may even be able to make some extra cash by selling your unwanted stuff. Hold a garage sale or sell items on Craigslist. Donate everything that you can’t sell to charity and be sure to get the receipt so you can claim a deduction on your taxes at the end of the year.
2. Don’t Pay For Moving Supplies. Why pay for boxes when there are likely plenty of free boxes available if you just ask? Many local businesses will be more than happy to hook you up with their unwanted boxes. Or ask around at the office. Chances are, there are plenty of departments that will be willing to give you some boxes. Copy paper boxes are ideal because they’re just the right size and come with handy lids.
3. Pack Your Own Boxes. Sure, you could pay someone to come in and pack your stuff for you. But you’ll save loads of money if you pack your boxes yourself and just hire movers to transport them.
4. Timing Is Key. If you move during the off-season, you’ll get better rates. In general, scheduling your move between September and May can save you money, since this is when rates are lowest. You will also save money if you move on a weekday instead of during the weekend.
5. Transport Only Mover. If the cost of a full-service mover is more than you’re willing to pay, consider hiring a transport-only mover to move your stuff across the country.
6. Shop Around. Don’t just hire the first mover you call. Doing a bit of research on different moving companies and options will get you a better deal.
7. Use Cross Country Movers. Visit Cross Country Movers. Compare moving companies and get free quotes to make sure you get the best deal on your cross country move.